Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Our First Fever/Undiagnosed Sickness

Oh how I couldn't wait for Emmry to turn one... I sure didn't realize what was going to come following her first birthday party. She has been so sick since Saturday (her party), that I haven't even had time to post pictures or blog about her first birthday party. Here is what is going on so far with Emmry and her illness:

Saturday afternoon, Emmry didn't seem to be feeling very well... mostly fussy. I figured she had just been worn out from the party and from not having a very good nap. However, that night the fever started. On Sunday, her fever stayed about the same. She was in and out for most of the day. Sunday night the bomb hit us... 103.8 temperature but she had no other symptoms; just a fever and a little congestion in her nose.

First thing Monday morning I rushed her to the doctor. We arrived at 10:00 am and didn't leave until 2:00 in the afternoon. They ran EVERY test on this child. Everything from the flu, ear infection, strep, mono, phenomena, UTI, catheter, blood work, and X-rays... NOTHING! Everything came back normal EXCEPT her white blood cell count. It was very high. Before we left, they gave her a shot of antibiotics, hoping that would help lower the white blood cell count. For the remainder of Monday, Emmry slept a good bit. She did "perk up" once we left the doctors office. But it wasn't for a long time. Once she woke up for her nap, the child was on fire... I am telling you, I could see the heat coming from her body... her temperature was 104.5! And yes, I was freaking out. But she was keeping liquids down and took her medicine. So the doctor just said wait and see what she does.

Emmry ended up falling to sleep on her own around 10:30 Monday night and she was so pitiful. She woke up several times in the middle of the night until I finally picked her up. Something was wrong... her temperature was 104.5... AGAIN! A dose of Motrin, some good home made sweet tea, a cool bath and she was back to bed! I didn't hear a peep from her the rest of the night (yes, I checked on her numerous times).

This morning (Tuesday), we took her back to the doctor at 8:30 and pour Emmry just hates that place. She cried just seeing the doctor. They took her blood again and we waited. (I'm not sure about anyone else, but I hate waiting... I hate waiting for the news and not knowing either it's good or bad.) Her white blood count was exactly the same and I could tell by the look on the doctors face she was worried/shocked. Apparently the shot she gave Emmry the day before hadn't worked. So we did a repeat; she gave her another shot and sent us home. Emmry has slept most of the day (with a continuous fever). She played a little this afternoon but she just isn't the same. Her pour little eyes are so droopy, she is just so give out. Her doctor (Barbara Terry) really thinks she has either A. a virus (that we may never know what it is/was and we have to let it run its course) or B. roseola (its a virus that has a full 72 hour fever of 103-105 and on the forth day, the child breaks out from head to toe in a rash). To me, both options stink. I don't want Emmry to have either!!

We go back to the doctor at 9:00 in the morning. We are HOPING/PRAYING that her white blood count is down. If it isn't... Scottish Rite here we come! I can seriously say this with so much truth... I wish it was me!!! I can't stand this. I hate this and it's just not far! All I can do is hold her, love her and pray but even sometimes... It just doesn't seem like I'm doing enough!

No comments: